Sunday, July 10, 2011

RIP Phantom, July 10, 2011

I have some bad news for our family today...



His name was Phantom, and he had adrenal disease... He didn't lose all of his fur, but most of it from his neck to his stomach had fallen off, and his tail was getting bare... The bulge in his stomach was so huge, and you could tell he didn't feel well at all... He slept almost all the time, except when he got up to eat or go to the bathroom, and even then, he slumped around as if it hurt him to move up and down his cage. There was really nothing that could be done, and we expected him to pass away any day, but it was depressing that it had actually happened...

I walked past his cage and bumped it, and saw that he didn't wake up and give me "that look" that he usually gives when I've disturbed his sleep. Of course that made me stop in my tracks and tap on the cage. No movement. I shook it a little.... Still no movement. I opened it up and reached inside to give him a gentle pet, and he was cold... So cold :-( I was heartbroken. I even tried to think - maybe he's just in a dead sleep, as they call it, when a ferret has a hard time waking up, but then Adam pointed out that if he was, he wouldn't be cold. I was crushed...

Tricity has moments where she cries and says she misses him, and she'll bring up memories, saying "Remember when he was playing in the box and stealing stuff and hiding it?" And then she'll weep (because she doesn't really cry, she weeps) and then the next thing you know, she's running around, laughing, and playing... Her attention is everywhere... I think I'm taking it harder than she is.

Adam always acts so tough, but I could tell he was upset about it. He said "No more, that's it, I'm done!" And I said "What? You mean no more ferrets?" to which he said "I'm not going through this again." Of course that's just what he thinks... We're still going to get one, just not right away. This time, we'll get it from a pet store, and we'll get a young one. Phantom was already a few years old, so he was halfway, if not more than, done with his life anyway, and we had bought him from some woman who had to get rid of him. I think we'll get a female this time, too. I sure did love my little boy, but I want to see what it's like having a female next time.

I sure will miss him :-(

He always licked us, always loved us, and he was just the sweetest pet we EVER had. Better than ANY dog or cat! He was cute and cuddly, and he always made us giggle. We'll be LUCKY to ever find a pet as well tempered as him... May he finally be free of pain, and at rest...

♥ ♥ ♥ BEST FERRET EVER!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment