Wednesday, April 10, 2019

I Cooked For My Brother and His Kids for the First Time!

I'll start off by saying - my brother and I have went through a rough patch in our lives where we didn't really get along well. He had made some bad life choices and I didn't forgive him for it. But over the past year, I can see that he's really been trying to get his life back on track, and it has been bringing us closer together.

Well... everything happens for a reason, and it happened to be that I recently got my schedule at work lowered to have less hours, so now I get off work before Tricity comes home from school. And recently, he needed someone to watch the kids until he got off work because my Mom would have watched them, but she deserved a break, so I said I'd watch them after school for this week.

He told me he would be getting back late one of the nights, so I went ahead and cooked them dinner. It wasn't anything special. Just a skillet meal (cheeseburger macaroni), potatoes, and beans. But they liked it! The little ones scarfed it down and ate until they were full. It was really nice to know they liked my food!

Of course I had to ask, "Who cooks better, me or Grandma?" just so that I could see their faces freeze up as they tried to think of an answer. It was so cute and funny. I told them, "Well your Grandma is who taught me how to cook, so I'd HOPE that you would have a hard time deciding!" lol My Mom was a great cook when I was growing up. I guess my cooking is a mix between my Mom and Adam, since I learned some things from him, too.

It was really nice though. It was nice to cook dinner for my brother for once, after he came home from a hard day's work, and to have the family together like that. I always wanted a big family like he has, but we were never able to have more kids. Sad to say, when they were little, I was so resentful that I couldn't have any more, while their mother (who shouldn't have been having kids that she didn't want to take care of) kept popping them out like a factory, so I didn't bond with them as much as I should have... But now that they are older, I've been trying to be a better person and be closer to them. I am their only Aunt, after all. And their Uncle Adam is their only uncle. Anyway, It was a really nice evening :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment