Thursday, April 25, 2019

Performance Anxiety

Wow, I haven't felt this way in a looooong time! Not since high school, that I can remember! When I would perform Fiddler on the Roof, or sing the national anthem before the football games. Over the years, I'd usually try to push the feelings down when I'd start feeling this way, but I'm feeling anxious and excited at the same time. I've had panic attacks a few times as well, but they don't feel the same as this.

Why am I feeling this way? Because I recently decided to take a chance and signed up for the 80's Lip Sync Battle for this year's Mayfest. It says, "You will perform 1 of 10 randomly selected songs. The song list will be provided no later than 3 days before the event. There will be 3 face-off rounds to determine the winner. Be familiar with these songs and all decked out to increase your chance to become the FINAL WINNER! NOTE: The judging for this event will be done by crowd appeal. Be ready to know all the songs, to put enthusiasm into your performance and to woo the crowd with your style. Most of all have some fun!"

So now I'm brushing up on my 80's music  LOL  And I've already picked out what I'm going to wear. I went out and bought a couple of neon shirts (all they had was orange or yellow) so I can make my outfit. I'm going to cut one to make an off-the-shoulder shirt with fringe on the bottom, and the other I will make into leg warmers. I'm going to crimp my hair and make some chunky neon jewelry to wear as well.

I don't know if there is a prize or not, but it doesn't matter because I'm doing this for the fun of it. I figured it would be a great memory for Tricity of her Mother, and it would be something nice to leave everyone to remember me by. It would be nice if I could win though. I'm just nervous to see if I'm one of the 12 people who get to do it. Just because I signed up for it doesn't mean I'm going to get picked... And then I'm nervous to see what songs we'll be doing. I'm hoping I know most of them. And then I'm nervous because I don't know who I'll be going up against. There's some pretty good performers in this town. And lastly, I'm nervous because I have a bad back, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to put as much energy into the performance as I imagine I will in my head, since I can't stand for too long.

I'm hoping I can get enough friends and family out to cheer for me since how loud the audience cheers will judge who moves onto the next round. I'm also hoping I can get someone to record it. Anyway, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment