Sunday, September 24, 2017

No Regrets? No Wishes!

I'm not going to say that there aren't things I don't regret in life, because there ARE. However, I don't think it does well to wish that some things never happened, because those are the things that make us who we are, and everything we go through in life teaches us to be better than the person we were the day before.

It's kind of like MySpace. I highly regret ever using MySpace after it ended badly between us, and sometimes I'm ashamed to say I was a user of their social media site back in the day... I was a highly active user until one fateful night, all it took was me being half asleep and one mis-click of my finger on the mouse button to completely delete my whole profile. All of my friends were deleted. All of the photos of my baby girl were gone. All of the messages, posts, and blogs? My entire documented life that I had spent so much time on sharing was forever gone.

But I can't sit here and say "Man, I wish I had never used MySpace" because if that were the case, I'd have never gotten to message Brett McKenzie (someone I'm a fangirl of) and actually get a reply back. I'd never have been able to be friends with my friend Kelly Lilly, who was someone from high school that I was an acquittance of, but not really close to until we became friends on MySpace after graduation, and see what his new baby boy looked like before he passed away shortly after from cystic fibrosis. I'd never have been able to make amends with my first ex-boyfriend and move on with that chapter in my life.

So do I regret it? Yeah, but I'm glad I had my time there. As we get older, we learn to watch our steps and make smarter decisions. Why? Because of the things we regret. We're more cautious and guarded, which I think is a good thing because we've made it this far since we learned not to be so careless. And that's why they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it's okay to have regrets, but don't be one of those people that dwells on them and says "I wish I had never met you" or "I wish I would have turned left instead of right", because the damage has already been done. Wishing gets you nowhere. All you can do from here is accept that it's happened, look for something good in the situation to be thankful for, and use it as a life lesson. And above all else, keep setting new goals, and staying positive.

Only you can choose to make yourself happy.
Only you can free yourself.
L.I.V.E. L.I.F.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment