Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Search and Rescue!

We had to take the kids to my Mom's house to stay the night last night because we had to leave early today and weren't going to be home most of the day. Well when we left, the door didn't get shut all the way. Khloe had been the last one out because I made her go back in and get a coat, as it is winter time and even though she said she didn't need one, I wasn't going to let her run around without a coat on. I had her grab my Mom's hoodie that she had given me a few years back, as I knew it would make her feel special wearing something that was Grandma's. Anyway, in all the hustle and bustle, the door got left open. Accidents happen... and as a curious cat will do, one of them got out.

Of all cats, it had to be our only boy Junko (pronounced june-co, named after a Danganronpa character), otherwise known as stinky, big little boy, little man, bud, Garfailed (yes, we said it as gar-failed), or Devin's cat. We didn't know this until we got home and I was able to find all the other cats except for him. I looked around outside, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen at first glance. I went inside and played videos of other cat's meowing, which often was the best way to round up the cats because they would always come running to investigate. There was Snootz... Kuma... Zoozy... but no Junko! So now I was getting really worried...

I went outside and played the sound for a while. Keep in mind, it's freezing cold out and there was still a dappling of snow on the ground here and there. I was in my nightgown, fur coat, and flipflops. I still did not see him. I went back inside and thought of the food. This boy loves to eat (hence the Garfield reference), so I took the food bowl and picked some up and dropped it back in like I was filling it up. The other cats came running and just stared up at me with a wistful look in their eyes. Still no Junko though... Much to their disappointment, I ended up taking the food bowl away. I went outside and did the same thing, giving the bowl a few shakes. I figured if he heard it, he might come running? But no... Still no orange floof to be seen.

I turned on my flashlight thinking that maybe if he were hiding, I'd be able to spot him by the glare in his eyes. I tried playing a different cat sound. I thought - what if he didn't like the other one I played? And that's when I finally saw movement. He was in the garage! But after a short staring contest (mostly due to my surprise) I said "Junko! Come here baby boy!" and of course his response was to dart off. I saw him go to the back of the house, so I let out an exasperated sigh and made my way back there. I figured he went in the utility room because I could not find him after that. I had Adam come out and help me look, but there were too many bikes and things in the way. I had to give up at this point. It was night, it was cold, and I can't climb over stuff like I used to. At least I knew for sure that he was outside and that he hadn't run off. I was worried about him being in the cold, but my biggest worry was that someone would take him in before we could get to him. I left some food on the front steps in case he came back to the door, and I went inside.

After we got back in town today and picked up the kids, they all went out on a search and rescue mission to find him. Thankfully, being the awesome kids they are, they worked together to get him out of the basement, where he had taken up residence again after I had unintentionally chased him out the first time. The had grabbed a can of wet dog food to coax him out. He was meowling and sounded so pitiful, but other than being stressed out, he was okay!

I guess he's scared at the idea of going back out there though, because while Khloe was holding him, Tricity came in the door and he was scrambling to try and get out of her arms and get away like he had been spooked. He probably learned his lesson! lol He got warm, got fed, and will need a bath, but we sure are happy that everything turned out good! Here's Devin with his baby boy:

No comments:

Post a Comment