Friday, February 5, 2021

She Wants to Make Me Bleed

Today I saw the gynecologist after about 13 years, I think? I know that's a whole lot of time to go without seeing one, but I never had the means to until now. They always asked for money up front, which we've never had any to spare. Now that we have insurance, I'm finally able to take care of my issues.

One of those issues had been my irregular periods. Sometimes I would go months, even a year without bleeding. Sometimes I would bleed for 6 months straight. Ever since I had my daughter and put on weight, my periods had not been the same. The last time I saw the OBGYN, he told me it was because I was making too much testosterone, but wouldn't do much else without me paying more money.

This time, my doctor took more concern and told me if a woman goes longer than 4 months without a period, she has a greater chance to develop cancer. I did not know this. If I would have known, you can bet I'd have come in a lot sooner! Why had I never heard of this before? She said she thinks I have PCOS, which is polycystic ovary syndrome. I'm not sure about this, as I think it's more like POI, which is an early menopause because I remember hearing that one of my Grandmothers had it. Anyway, she has now prescribed me a medicine that will encourage me to bleed. She said to take 1 every day for 10 days, and if I don't have a period in the next 4 months, to take them again, so we will see how it goes. It's called medroxyprogesterone.

I had also asked her about other issues, such as the foley bulb during my delivery that caused me to bleed. I wanted to know if I had scar tissue because it felt like it had really cut me up and the student training had said "Look at all the blood!" which had led me to believe I had been damaged. She said everything looked good though. Nothing appeared to be wrong.

I asked her about what the gyno before told me, with having too much testosterone. She said with PCOS and my weight gain, that will have happened, and that would have kept me from being able to get pregnant, which is something else I had been worried about. After my daughter, we tried but could never have any more babies.

I asked her if she wanted me to take this more often because I wouldn't mind. She said it wasn't necessary unless I wanted to get pregnant, which I told her that maybe down the line I would like to have one more before something else happens to Adam. Maybe after his kidney transplant and my bariatric surgery. Then she told me had a gastric bypass a little over a year ago, and that she lost 150 pounds from it, so she thinks it will really do some good, because if I were to get pregnant right now, my weight could be harmful for the baby, which I know.

So we will see how this year goes. Hopefully both of us have our big surgeries and have time to heal, and then maybe we could complete the circle? We have Tricity, and my nieces and nephew, but then maybe have just one more of our own? He said he didn't want to be like his brother and have a baby in his 40's, but I still want another before it's too late, you know? My clock hasn't stopped yet!

Basically, she just wants to make sure I bleed every 4 months so that I don't have a high risk of developing cancer. She said there's a chance I may bleed too much, and in that case I will have to go back because my lining may be too thick? I hope it all works out. We will have to see how it goes...



No comments:

Post a Comment