Sunday, November 13, 2016

I Just Made It More Complicated

Somehow, I had messed up the internet, and had spent ALL DAY trying to fix it. I was going into the computer room, and my foot caught the internet wire and yanked on the wireless box. It looked like it was still on, so I thought everything was okay, but then Tricity said her internet wasn't working, and Adam said his wasn't working. My PC is directly wired, and it was working just fine.

Somehow, the wireless stopped working on the box. I thought when I jarred it, that maybe something broke inside and now it was still putting out a wired connection but that the wireless somehow malfunctioned...

Keep in mind that I had just gotten off of work that morning, so I kept falling asleep during this whole process because I had not yet slept since coming home. I would try to look up a solution online and you know how it is when you read, right? You start getting sleepy? So I kept dozing off.

I tried shutting it off, unplugging the wires, replugging them, turning it back on... I even tried to reset the router, which meant losing all of the settings for IP configuration and such. Resetting the box didn't even help. What I didn't think about, which was the most simple solution, was that there was a tiny little nub on the back that turned the wireless on and off. Apparently when I had jarred the box, it hit that wireless button and shut it off.

So now I had the wireless back on, but I had reset all of the configurations for the router. It was a simple solution to fix the wireless, but now I had made it much more complicate than it needed to be! Luckily, I have experience with setting up a Minecraft server, so I knew how to get the information that I needed to get it back on, but it was still a pain having to redo everything.

I finally got done at 4PM, so it took me about 8 hours to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it, between falling asleep every couple of minutes. It was ridiculous! Needless to say, my day was pretty much shot and I didn't do much after that. Tricity didn't have school the next day because it was "Professional Development Day" for the teachers, so we stayed up all night catching up on Monster High videos on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment