Friday, April 23, 2010

I Tried to Make Butter and Cheese

Well I tried making my own butter and cheese for the first time. TRIED to... The butter turned out quite nice! I was surprised how it worked, as if by magic. I never knew that cream could break into two separate components like that! I had a heck of a time draining the buttermilk out of the butter, though. I didn't mind, but it just surprised me that when I thought I had all of it out, it kept leaking some more. But I got it done, and now I have nice, fresh, homemade butter in my fridge. As it got cold, it got harder than I expected, but I'm sure if I left it out to soften, it would be fabulous to spread on toast and rolls. Last night I had rolls with homemade butter and a little bit of molasses. Yum-yum!

As for the cheese, I tried to make mozzarella. I got curdled cheese, or "farmer's cheese" as some say, but I couldn't get it to melt together into a cheese ball for the mozz... I don't know what went wrong, so I will just have to try it again some time. Maybe it was because I only had 2% milk to use instead of whole milk? Who knows... Something obviously didn't go right. What I ended up with was more like dry cottage cheese... Oh well, it's all trial and error. For my first time, I'm surprised I got as far as I did! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment