Friday, April 16, 2010

Skills I Have Learned Through the Years

I feel like something in me is coming alive, and because of it, my emotions are being thrown off. I feel sad and happy at the same time. I guess because I want this stuff so much in my life, but I don't know how to get it, or if I will EVER be ABLE to get it... I want it with all my heart, and I am learning so much. I know how to do so many things (though a lot of it I haven't had the chance to try yet) and I just want to put it all to use and live more naturally in a place of my own that I can fix up however I want, and grow whatever I want. I love the idea of making my own things and sharing it with others.

I've learned a lot in my years, and these are some of the special skills I have picked up along the way:

I know how to sew by hand
how to knit using a knifty knitter
I know how to use tools for making wooden furniture, like a table saw, lathe, band saw, etc.
I can use a pottery wheel
silk screening
stone carving (mainly soapstone)
whittling
beading (I make necklaces and bracelets to sell)
I paint, draw, sculpt, sketch, pretty much use any kind of artistic medium
painting as far as housing goes
I can refinish porcelain for bathtubs
simple home things like wall patching, caulking, hanging shelves, laying tiles, carpet, and linoleum
basic home cleaning like dishes, laundry, steam cleaning the carpets, decorating,
making homemade bread, cheese, butter, buttermilk, ice cream, flavored oils
beekeeping (though I never got to actually DO it, but I know how)
how to guide a horse
sugaring (haven't actually got to do this one either yet but I know how)
how to milk a cow (I've done this when I was younger, and I want to do it again)
how to play the flute (the skill has diminished over time since the 5th grade)
how to play a guitar (a few simple songs, and strumming)
I can sing in different styles, like yodeling, throat singing (somewhat), mariachi, opera, etc.
I learned how to whistle with my fingers
how to make sausages and brats
how to skin fish, chickens, and rabbits
how to dehydrate foods and make fruit leather and beef jerky
how to raise a smart child
how to potty train
typing skills, webpage design, digital art, and create an online store
leather stamping
how to make perfume
I make windchimes
candlemaking
wedding planning, baby showers, bachelorette parties, birthday parties, and sleepovers
I can go fishing and camping
I speak a little Spanish and a little Elvish
I've learned different kinds of dances (though I don't actually dance that often) like country line dance, Irish step dancing, ballet, tap, and bellydance

that's a pretty long list as it is, but there's still so much I want to do! Hopefully soon, I can learn more things such as:

canning jams, apple butter, fruits, salsa, and apple pie fillings
pickling
raising chickens, pigs, cows, rabbits, and quails
learning how to use a sewing machine
home-owning
getting my license
speaking more languages
learning how to play more musical instruments

No comments:

Post a Comment