Monday, March 25, 2019

Lessons I Learned From Tahnee

There are many lessons I learned from my best friend throughout the years. She always had clever things to say or really logical ideas that have profoundly resonated with me, and I'd like to share them with you.

The first main thing she had taught me was:
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
This means to expect that not everything is going to go smoothly, and prepare for anything that might happen. But even if you expect that things will go wrong, keep your chin up and hope that it'll all work out and turn out for the best. For example, when I start work for the day, I don't clock in expecting the day to be perfect. I know the chances of that happening are slim. I expect there to be conflicts and problems that need to be resolved, but I still hope that it'll be a nice day. But at least I'm prepared to handle it if terrible things happen.

Then she taught me:
It's better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
This was a little devious, but it has helped give me courage to do a few things that I didn't think I would be allowed to do, because I feared that if I asked, I would be told no. But sometimes you just have to do it, and not worry about if you're allowed to or not. Then if someone gets onto you, you could always say - whoops! I didn't know. Forgive me? That way, you're not asking first and being told no before you even get the chance to try.

One of the weird things she taught me was:
Sometimes the best ideas are thought of in the bathroom.
When we used to write together, she used to come up with some amazing storylines. Then she told me her secret. She came up with them in the bathroom. She said that sometimes, when you're left to peace and quiet and alone with your own thoughts, with nothing else to distract you while you did your business, or took a shower, then it gave your brain some time to think on it's own and come up with ideas. And she was right! I noticed that when I'm in the shower, sometimes my brain will go into overdrive, and I'll come up with some of my best ideas.

And then another key thing she had unknowingly taught me is that:
You don't have to be lovers to be soulmates.
I don't think there was anyone more perfect to share my life with. She was the one. I loved her very deeply, and I know she loved me too, but we weren't lovers in a sexual way. (I may like boobs, but I don't like vaginas.) We were intimate, but not physically. I think she's the only person in the world who knew everything about me. And I miss her so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment