Monday, November 1, 2021

My Opinion on Duck Eggs


While we were in the process of moving to our new homestead, we lived with my in-laws for a couple of months. While there, we became acquainted with her farm animals, which included ducks and chickens. They hadn't been laying eggs yet because they were still young, but by the time we moved out of their house and into our forever home, the birds started making fresh eggs. Thankfully they have been sharing them with us!
I've tried both, as fried eggs and boiled eggs. In my opinion, when frying a duck egg, the whites are much more rubbery than a chicken egg. However, the duck's yolk is much more creamier than the chicken egg. It's had to say which one I like better! If I could get the yolk of a duck egg mixed with the white of a chicken egg, I would be pleased. (I've been giving Tricity my fried whites and I've been eating the runny yolks, as she doesn't like "gooey yolk" as we call it.)

As far as boiling eggs, chicken eggs are great, but the duck eggs weren't that bad either. To me, instead of having more of a crumbly yolk texture like the chicken eggs tend to have, it was more smooth, but not as smooth as a quail egg. (Thanks to the in-laws, I got some quails I am currently raising at the moment, too!)

At first (because of the rubbery whites) I thought I was going to rule out the option of us getting any ducks next year, but now I'm not too sure. I guess we'll be keeping both after all! Both birds have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to their fresh eggs. Adam also plans on us having a goose or two. What I REALLY want to try are turkey eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment