Monday, February 25, 2002

My Love of Snow

I thought today, I would talk about snow, if anything else, because I had just woken up to see it snowing outside, between the shades of the window. A light blurry haze of moving speckles, causing such a brightness to shine though from outside.

It started off ever so lightly, lacing the rooftops with a thin layer of snow. Then, as it progressed, growing more heavy, the flakes getting plumper and thicker, the grass started becoming white, but you could still see the blades, like tiny needles, shooting up through it.

And now, it has died down, so that you barely see the flakes dancing around, spiraling to the ground, looking for a spot to lay their fragile forms. A heavy blanket has now covered the grounds, bushes, and even the skeleton trees that had just started to gain new life after shedding their past one only a few months back.

You would think I would be tired of snow after that short time period of living in Nebraska last year, in which case the snow was waist high, and even a whole person high in some areas... But I had missed it. It's just so beautiful. Snow shall forevermore be enchanting, no matter how old I get. I remember being a wee lass back in the day, feeling sorry for those unfortunate kids who had to grow up in warmer climates without ever seeing or feeling the joys of snow.

It's so beautiful to see a woman with such an elegant and graceful beauty, be in the snow, smiling, talking to her love, and to see the snow falling upon her, putting little sparkling jewels all within her hair. Or to feel the snow tickle your nose as it falls, or kiss your eyelashes upon landing on them. To see cheeks reddened by the cold, and warming them back up by a hot bowl of soup. Or perhaps seeing the gothic appeal of it when it lays within the graveyards, giving them more of a death feeling, making them seem all the more creepy.

Or how about the sheer joy of just seeing a change outside? It would get so boring to see the same old grass and the same old colors... A drastic change is always nice. And... the calm and content feel one gets when just sitting and watching it fall. There's something so peaceful about snow. And how about the color? White... The color of purity and innocence.

And though, beautiful it may be, it can also be quite destructive. Snow means that the water is freezing, which means ice. Ice can cause accidents. Too much snow for too much time can cause trouble for stranded people, too. They can die if out in it for too long.

It's kind of ironic how we call it a blanket of snow, and yet it is so cold. Sometimes I wonder if mother nature prefers it that way, like we prefer a warm blanket? Does the changing weather make her hot, so she puts on a cold blanket, like how it makes us cold, so we put on a warm one?

And what is it that draws people to such a thing? It's merely frozen water, falling as rain would, only...frozen. I find it quite interesting how many people are attracted to it, and the feeling they get about it. I do notice strong feelings attached to it, though. Either people really love it, or they really hate it.

I really love it, because it just gives me this special feeling inside. A more calm, attached to nature kind of feeling. Kind of like how Persephone must have felt if she saw it, being reminded of her mother's pain for her daughter being away. She must have missed being back home with her, both of them taking care of the lands and nature.

And yet, some people despise it, because they say it's too cold, or they hate to drive in it. They say it's nothing but a mess. Maybe in a city, yes, where the pollution gives it a dingy brown or black color. But have they ever took the time to sit and watch it fall in the woods? Or in a calm place where no distractions could be made? It's a beautiful thing to behold, really.

Perhaps I am most fond of snow because of one of my earliest memories? I was not even a year old yet... Just a babe in my mother's arms. She was taking my brother and I to my grandma's house. I didn't know why at the time, but I later came to find out that she had to go into the hospital for a while, and she needed my grandma to help take care of us. All I know is that I felt SO MUCH love coming from her. I remember the car door opening (on the passenger side) and as she got out with me, the snow was falling on my face. She covered my face up with my baby blanket, and walked around the car and up to the door. She knocked, and I remember seeing my grandma open the door. I didn't know what was being said... Not that I can remember... but I just remember the snow and the love. Maybe that's where my strong attachment to snow comes from?
Anyway, that ends my talk on snow today. I feel quite content now as I look out the window in between thinking of things to say. I'm glad I got to see it again. It's been a nice change as of late.

Current Mood: content
Current Music: La Vita Nuova - Hannibal Soundtrack

No comments:

Post a Comment